Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) On Being German (Read 618 times)
Normpo
Forum Administrator

Re: On Being German
Reply #11 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Rene,

You know, not to "ignite" this thread again..  but...

what gets me so darn angry about this is THE CHILDREN!!!  I expect despicable behavior from adults (who, yes, were once children) --- but to see children antagonizing other children with demonizing prejudice...that just makes me want to scream.  I also want to meet the parents of these kids who had to learn from you know who.

Okay -- vented again --- just feel helpless and feel their pain (Chad and Patrick). They should feel proud of their heritage and tell 'em I said so!! ~smile~

Norm

IP Logged

duetsdove
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
I want to thank you all sincerely for reading. . .taking the thoughts here. . .running with them. . .and offering your kindness in return. . .

but we are all magicians in a way. we just have to work our magic.

Yes, we are. . .all magicians in a way. . .may we all work to help bridge the gap between differences. . .and recognize the Oneness that we share. . .

With much appreciation for your sharing "together" and "in unison"

~Rene~

IP Logged

writer
Supreme Member

life is good!

Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
ace,

we are constant bombarded with our differences and too infrequently with our similarities. in America it is 
almost mandatory to hyphenate your heritage. it helps divide us further. and to divide is to conquer.

writer

IP Logged

ace
Gold Star Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Rene:
This one made me so darned mad I was almost afraid to comment on it for fear of my language bounds.  
Why as we obviously go more and more global do we seem to insist more and more on ethnic distinctions.

ace
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 1970 at 12:00am by »  

IP Logged

percephanie
Gold Star Member

paint me w/your heart
 erase me w/your eyes

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 8:01am
Print Post  
writer

bigotry and hatred are learned and, therefore can be unlearned. it is the responsibility of all of us to be proactive teachers. 

well said!

YIM  
IP Logged

writer
Supreme Member

life is good!

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Rene,

in two instances in my life I was tarred and feathered with an unjust label. I asked the individual what I, as a person, had done to him, as a person, that would cause him to feel that way about me.  when I received no specifics in reply, I merely asked him why he felt that way.

I guess I'm trying to say that so much of the unreasoning hatred can be dealt with on a one-to-one basis if we give it a chance. 

bigotry and hatred are learned and, therefore can be unlearned. it is the responsibility of all of us to be proactive teachers.

as norm said, imprecise definitions can be damaging, as with Liberal or Conservative or Fundamentalist or Left-wing or Right-wing. without precise definitions we cannot communicate effectively.

we are a world of individuals and it is as such that we will make the greatest strides, if we make the effort. I do not think we can afford NOT to make the effort.

would that there were a magic wand...

but we are all magicians in a way. we just have to work our magic.

writer

IP Logged

Brique

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Rene'

Thank you for posting your poem today. I am so sorry that your children are facing such discrimination for their heritage. It angers me to no end that parents are not teaching children to accept others as individuals and to have respect. I've always heard that "children can be so cruel" but that is because parents (and teachers as Norm said) are NOT teaching respect, kindness, empathy, acceptance of differences.

I am ashamed that my parents fed us a regular diet of racism. It was a daily occurance for the adults in my family and neighborhood to make derogatory comments and tell racist jokes. This is the kind of parenting (teaching by example) that propagates the treatment your boys have had to endure. 

I was not aware that being German in today's world would cause one to be marked so unjustly.  Thank you for opening my eyes today.  My beautiful daughter's last name is Westheimer and one day it could be her being ashamed of her father's heritage and name.

Monique

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 8:06am
Print Post  
nas & rene,

yes-yes-yes >>> that is the key word I should have used ---"bullying"-- the name-calling and derogatory associations slung at innocent people is a "bullying" dynamic --- it is labeling that is meant to hurt and wound others. "Jew", "German", "Liberal" --- think about it --- the manner in which it is delivered as if to deride and make fun of the recipient. (notice I included "Liberal" because look what the Republicans have done with THAT word when they brand people with it -- like it's a dirty word now).

I also fault the school system really! I live in a very "liberal" community  --- people are waiting at the gate to get into Montclair, NJ. It is totally ethnically and racially integrated in every way. You would NEVER hear the kinds of thinbgs Chad and Patrick have heard HERE! Quite the opposite. We all SHARE our cultures and blend our "differences" into a common love of each others backgrounds.  Where are the "lesson plans" that include educating students about respecting each other and actually TEACHING (yes it can be taught) in a class about name calling, bullying, discriminating, and outright abusing others. The "singling out" should be made PUBLIC when such behavior is evident or reported. The one who should feel the pain is the bully and NOT the victim.  Norm would be at a Board of Education meeting and challenging them immediately and if he didn't get action, tere would be a demonstration on the steps of every school in Marshfield of concerned parents of ALL persuasions. (I have a habit of talking about myself in the third person --- maybe I need therapy?).

So There!

Norm

IP Logged

nas
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 7:45am
Print Post  
Hi Ren

I echo what Norm said, I couldn't have put it better.  It is ignorance and a pathetic excuse to bully a child.

It is such a shame people listen blindly to bigoted rubbish they are told rather than think for themselves.  This is precisely the reason Hitler was able to get away with such atrocities and why such illogical hatred succeeds.

People are people and should be judged on their own merits rather than historical (or current) stereotyping.

I remember my grandmother who lived in Switzerland would never speak "proper" German only French or Swiss German.  Her sister brother-in-law and baby niece died in Auschwitz and she wasn't happy that my mum and dad werwent to live in Germany for a year when I was about a year old.

My parents they made good friends over there who they still keep in contact with todayand when I was 16, I stayed with them and their children for the summer and they couldn't have been kinder.

IP Logged

duetsdove
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 7:14am
Print Post  
It began in third grade for me. . .and hasn't stopped.  . .and interestingly I find it more intense here in the northeast. . .

it began in 4th grade for Patrick. . .now he rarely admits to many that he is German.  . .

and it began this year with Chad. . .in jr. high. . .making some school days very difficult for  him. . .he's far more sensitive than Patrick. . .

I cannot tell you how many times. . .I am asked just how I feel about a Jewish individual. . .with the basis being. . .well, you are German. . .erego. . .you must have a bias.  How many people still ask me if the Germans still feel the same way today. . .as they did "then". . .

It was the Nazis. . .and, interestingly, the numbers of Nazis of all nationalities that reside here in the US is alarming. . .and their "hate" is directed at many varied groups. . .

that does not negate in any way what Hitler and his Nazi cronies did to the Jewish, to the old and invalid, to the Jehovah's Witnesses, and to the famiiles of his opposers. . .

but, as I said, look in your own backyards. . .hate mongers. . .thrive on the psychological damage they cause. . .and it begins. . .

with our children.

I know Norm. . .how you feel. . .and, hopefully, yes, someday my children will remember what I have taught them about their German heritage. . .with pride.

~R~

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 6:59am
Print Post  
Rene,

1) The equating of "German" (heritage) with "Nazi" is an absurdity I do not understand! It creates another psychological "atrocity" --- and in this case it's Chad who is the innocent victim. How unfair is that for a young person not feel wonderful about his rich cultural heritage that not only flows through his veins but is so warmly projected from his Mom?

2) It is doubly insane in that even if a child's PARENTS ( or grandparents) were actually Nazis, how cruel is it to visit the "sins of the fathers on the children?"  And in Chad's case, it isn't even THAT?  It is the same sick logic that labels all Jews of the last 5 centuries as the "Christ killers".

We are dealing with a hate-based mentality that we know children get "at the breakfast table."  We know they didn't invent a hate ethic on their own. It is a learned discrimination impregnated by generations of ignorance and misguided emotional views of history.

I am so sorry for what your boys and you are going through. You certainly know how i feel on this issue. Your soul and conscience are pure and I know how you impart your feelings to your children. I hope they come to understand that being "German" is a GOOD thing and something to be proud of --- not to hide from. The historical scars that must be unduly worn I hope will fade --- they are not really there but the psychological impact brought upon inocents by ill-thinking peers can be devastaing.  The German "experience" should be a wholesome one --- with one of the richest cultures humankind will ever record. Keep making them "feel" it --- play them a Beethoven symphony tonight ~smile~.

On another note: this (me) is one Jewish guy that hopes to get the chance to meet your fine German American guys some day.

Norm

IP Logged

duetsdove
Supreme Member

On Being German
Jan 29th, 2007 at 6:32am
Print Post  
*Let me preface this with the fact that I know the Holocaust happened. . .my mother was nine and in Berlin. . .my whole family in Berlin was there. . .knows. . .but I'm really very tired of being marked. . .and now I'm angry that my children, both of them, have been tagged. . .being German does not equate one with Naziism. . .and don't be naive. . .the hate mongers hate everyone. . .me and my nationality included. . .beyond that it's not really a good day for me. . .so forgive me as I'll be laying very, very low. . .*

For years I struggled
with being marked by 6,000,000 graves,

carried with me a sin
no 9 year-old should wrap
around her psychic frame,

turned my back to escape sniper fire
that ricocheted
from behind school desks,
and snow piles,
from whispers of grief
locked within mountain wounds,

turned my back on shouting